Sunday, August 10, 2014

Surviving and Thriving Amist Change

Change is scary.  Change is hard.  Change can make us feel like we're loosing control.  And for someone like me who is a self-admitted control freak  likes to have a little control, this can feel overwhelming and stressful.  So this school year is already starting out making me feel a bit "anxious".  My team has 3 teachers....2 of those teachers will be new this year and I am mentoring both of them.  I have a new Assistant Principal, 2 new Special Education Coordinators, and new Music teacher and Social Worker, neither who have ever worked with children with cognitive impairments.  My anxiety has risen just writing this!  However, life without change grows stagnate.  It prohibits growth and learning.  Without change we no longer strive for excellence.  We become complacent and happy with the status quo. 

So.... regardless of my fears and anxiety, I refuse to stay put.  I refuse to become content with "the way things are".  I yearn to move forward, to learn and grow from new experiences, new people, new thoughts and ideas.  And I look forward to the opportunity to share my experiences, thoughts and ideas with others.  
Through my fears and anxieties, I will embrace the coming changes.  I will learn to thrive among the newness of my surroundings and the people around me.  I will celebrate with my new team members as we work together to create an amazing learning environment for our special students.  I will empower them to create creative, fun, challenging classrooms for children.  I will actively engage with my new Assistant Principal/BCM as we learn a new IEP program together and work out the nuances of how we will conduct our IEP meetings.  I will support my new SPED coordinator and be open to new ideas and processes. I will collaborate with the Music Teacher and Social Worker as they learn more about my students and I will be encouraging and supportive of their process.   I will be positive, confident in myself and new colleagues and embrace the change that is coming.  

I will survive.... and I will thrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment