Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Lessons I'm Learning

Hello Friends....
Though I've only been away from this blog a little more than 2 weeks, it feels like much longer.  I'm finding it difficult to get back into the swing of writing, but during my brief hiatus I've been learning new things about myself and revisiting some other things.  You see, I tend to be a "bit" on the OCD side of life.  Once I get hooked on something or my brain latches on to a thought or idea, it's off to the races.  My daily routine gets disrupted, I have trouble sleeping and other things get pushed aside until my obsession runs it's course.  And for many weeks I was allowing social media and all it's distractions (good and bad) to overwhelm me and my life. I wanted  NEEDED to disconnect!

Twitter was the first thing that had to go for awhile.  I could not pull myself away.  I was obsessed with checking my feed constantly.  I had to be completely up to date, have the latest information.  I also found myself accepting and jumping in to every new challenge that was put before me.  It didn't take long before I was completely overwhelmed by all that I was trying to do, and was not enjoying or learning from very much of it.  All I could think was "must keep up".  Out of necessity ( another life challenge/obsession took over) I had to go cold turkey on Twitter and all it's challenges and "learning opportunities".   It was a struggle for a few days.  I felt as if I was quitting on my PLN and myself.  I missed keeping up with everyone and reading all the amazing blogs that I follow and enjoy.  However, after 3-4 days I found my mind calming.  I was starting to sleep a little better and I wasn't using up all the data on my phone! :)  I was learning, and continue to learn that it's okay to step back, to take on only 1 or 2 challenges, to PUT THE PHONE DOWN and just enjoy life.  I am trying to spend more time with friends.  I'm trying to catch up on the reading I wanted to do this summer.  And I'm trying to find myself again.

Which leads me to 10 other lessons I'm learning.... 

1.  DO NOT feel guilty for taking time for myself
2.  It's okay to disconnect... the world will not fall apart if I do not have the most up to date information
3.  My mind needs to take a break occasionally  
4.  I MUST connect myself spiritually to God and to my faith
5.  It's okay to say "no"
6.  It's okay-even necessary-to ask for help
7.  I have amazing friends, family and co-workers who help keep me grounded and who love me 
8.  BREATHE
9.  Do not borrow trouble, take one minute/situation/day/ at a time
10.  Continue to keep my JOY, regardless of the circumstances

This is not an exhaustive list, and these will continue to be life-long learning opportunities for me, but in a short 2 1/2 weeks, these things have all been an important part of my growth as a person, a woman, a teacher and a friend.

I'm back to Twitter and I'm looking forward to catching up with my PLN and the blogs that I've missed, but I am coming at it with new perspective and insight.  I can and will put my phone down, I will take a close look at what challenges I've been participating in and set my priorities, and I will start focusing on quality instead of quantity.  I'm ready to start learning again... and keep learning!
God Bless,
Michele


1 comment:

  1. Glad you're back but also glad you've realized that there is a balance that needs to be found (for all of us) between being connected online & in our immediate surroundings. It is ok to pick and choose which things to give your devotion & time, and which things are ok in just small amounts. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete