Thursday, July 24, 2014

Renewed Spirit: Spiritual Journey Thursday

  
I love Spiritual Journey Thursday!  I love writing about my spiritual journey and I love reading blogs about others spiritual journeys.  Especially educators who know the demands of our day-to-day life.  Today I'm especially motivated because I'm in a good place.  Last week I spent my days with 105 amazing children and 60+ volunteers for Vacation Bible School.  I have been spending more time with dear friends from church.  I've also spent some time this summer reconnecting with God, who I know has been missing me for awhile.  Oh, I've gone through the motions... attended church, planned for VBS, attended and even co-taught a Bible study, served on committees... all the things a good Christian woman should do.  But, it was hard... it was work.... it was not something I looked forward to.  I saw all those things as ONE MORE thing I had to get done.  Just another commitment on my calendar.  And I was desperately missing God... even at church.  And I know He was missing me.

This summer has been a wonderful time of rediscovery.  I'm rediscovering my relationship with God and who I am as one of His beloved children.  For the first time in a long time, I am feeling beautiful.  Not an outwardly physical beautiful, but a spiritual, joyful, energizing beautiful.  God has been working through His Word and fulfilling needs in me, some of which I didn't even realize I had.  There have been countless people and events in my life this summer that have awakened my spirit and given new life to my soul.  It is like a weight has been lifted and I can breath again.

 I've also been reminded by my favorite Christian band Casting Crowns, through the song "Thrive", that God wants so much more for my life than just busyness, exhaustion and self-doubt.  He has given me life that I might live it fully and abundantly.  I am meant to live a life that glorifies Him and spreads His love.  I can't do that if I am disconnected and trying to fulfill my own needs.  I am grateful to Mark Hall through his lyrics and my friends through their love, support and encouragement that I have been reminded of that.  

My heart and spirit are full.  I am renewed with an energy and self-awareness that can only come from the Holy Spirit.  I am thankful beyond words that God has found his lost sheep and brought me back to the other 99.  It is not the first time, nor do I expect it will be the last time that He will have to search for me, and find me wandering without direction.  But I am filled with the wonder and joy of  His grace and mercy, knowing that know matter how often or how far I wander, He will welcome me back to the flock!

3 comments:

  1. Last night I listened to the song by Casting Crowns and read your post. (Just can't figure how to comment using my phone.) These lines from your post were like honey to me last night. "It is not the first time, nor do I expect it will be the last time that He will have to search for me, and find me wandering without direction. But I am filled with the wonder and joy of His grace and mercy, knowing that know matter how often or how far I wander, He will welcome me back to the flock!" Thank you for your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele, your blog post was filled with your calling to follow and rediscover your connection with faith. Peace on your journey and if you are so moved you may want to consider reflecting and writing about summer serenity athttp://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2014/07/exploring-summertime-serenity.html.

    By the way, last night I was following a calling to serve - you can read about the service project at http://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2014/05/creating-hope-from-paper.html.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this part: "...God wants so much more for my life than just busyness, exhaustion and self-doubt. He has given me life that I might live it fully and abundantly. I am meant to live a life that glorifies Him and spreads His love. I can't do that if I am disconnected and trying to fulfill my own needs." Hallelujah! :-) So happy you linked up!

    ReplyDelete